Thursday, September 15, 2005

Photos from Rose's album

I visited Rose in Kuching in March 2010 after my trip to Sabah to visit James Chin. I used my Sony Cybershot to take photos of Rose's album photos. They turned out quite ok. This is the quickest way of making copies of Black and White Kodak photos that I know.

This was the last photo taken of my father. I was 10 years old in 1954 when he passed away, aged 40 because he has cancer of the stomach. Sarawak was a British colony until 1963. The medical services were not very good then. I do not remember whether there was a government hospital in Miri or not. He was probably treated at the Shell hospital across the river on the peninsula.
The old lady, seated in the centre of this photo is Apong. She is some how related to my mother. We addressed her as Q-po. One of her daughters was Bill Chin's mum (auntie Chong Tai). Seated on her left is auntie Ah Yin, my mum's sister. She brought up my sister, Cecilia. This photo was taken at Cecilia's wedding in Seria. She can be seen 5th from right, standing next to Jeffrey Chow. Rose and I were studying in Australia. Sadly, we could not afford the trip home for our only sister's wedding.


mum and Rose

I think this photo was taken when Rose was about 15 years old. I have no idea where but from the fact that they both had hand bags means that it could be a special occasion.
This photo was taken in a studio in Jesselton (KK). I do not know exactly why we were there; probably to register our names on the land title for Ah kung's land in Kudat. Later on, I found my IC number and name recorded some how on the title deeds. My cousin, Peter Chin gave me a copy in 1973 in Seria.

This is a very early photo of mum, Rose and Cecilia. The shape of the window indicates that it could be the old wooden church in Miri. It was later replaced by the present concrete building, the St Joseph's Cathedral.

The old lady, standing on the left was my grand mother who lived in Kinarut. Cecilia did not come with us on this trip.

Here is a rare photo of the whole family together. The photo was taken in Jesselton (KK). The rest were Chin Tet Chin's family. I believe that the couple were teachers from Chung Hwa Middle School (1950?)

Another photo taken at Cecilia's wedding in Seria. Uncle Wong Hin is on Cecilia's left.

I cannot remember what was the occasion. My sisters seldom took photos with me. Rose was always away studying in Australia or teaching in Binatang.

I am pretty sure that this photo was taken in late 1965 when Rose came back for holidays from Australia where she was studying. Cecilia came to Kuching to bid me farewell because I was going overseas to study in early 1966.

This photo was taken at our old house in Pujut. I remember the wooden fence around the back. Bridget Voo, my cousin came for a visit quite often to escape her mother's very strict control. She was not allowed to talk to boys at all.

Here she is again with another one of her many suitors. Rose and I acted often as body guards. This was the old sea jetty, on the peninsula, near the old Shell hospital.

Cecilia and Rose, around 1949 taken outside the Miri wooden church

L to R: Alice Luk, Agnes, Rose Wong, Cecilia and Peter Voo

Rose with our neighbour, Ah Foon and her sister.

My father is seated in the middle. He was the chief clerk at the Borneo Company Ltd.on River Road, Miri, 1952?

My mother dressed in samfu when she was a girl.

 My father is second from right.

No comments:

Post a Comment